Can Construction Permit Fees Relating to Handicapped Improvements Be Waived by a Municipality?

HNW Real Estate, Landlord/Tenant, and Zoning

Handicapped persons have certain protections under the Americans with Disabilities Act and other laws unavailable to the non-disabled One protection is an exemption from paying fees to local municipalities to improve their home This article discusses exemptions under the New Jersey Construction Code regulation’s concerning permit fees and Mt. Laurel housing contribution fees Here’s The Background A client purchased a home in Monmouth County (the municipality and county doesn’t matter for purposes of this article). She knocked the house down and is now building a new home. She is handicapped. The township is charging $5,500 dollars in permitting fees, etc., and she is wondering if she is exempt due to her handicap. More importantly, they are charging her $14,000 in …

There’s Been a Big Change to Special Needs Trust Law:  Learn About it Here

HNW Elder Law, Special Needs Trusts for Minor Children and Adults

Back in the 1990’s, Congress passed a law that contained major changes to the federal Medicaid laws.  Included in the law was a provision permitting the creation of a special needs trust for disabled individuals under the age of 65.  This type of trust allows disabled individuals to place their assets in a special trust so he/she can preserve Medicaid eligibility.   This type of trust is known as a “d(4)(A) trust, a reference to the section of the law which created it.  It is also referred to as a 1st party Special Needs Trust because the assets place into the trust are owned by the disabled individual. A special needs trust has particular importance to disabled individuals who may receive …

New Jersey Medicaid Not Repaid From Third Party Trust

HNW Elder Law, Medicaid Eligibility and Asset Protection Planning, Special Needs Trusts for Minor Children and Adults

Recently, I met with new clients who are grandparents to many grandchildren, one of which is special needs.  I was asked if Medicaid will be able to take whatever funds are left over in the grandchild’s trust if he receives public benefits.  They want to create a special needs trust for their grandchild since he is not expected to live beyond 30 and is seriously disabled.  They are hoping any money left over at that time can be distributed to their other grandchildren and not taken by the government. Let me be clear with my answer.  There will be no Medicaid payback required if you create, fund and establish a special needs trust.  In other words, you can fund this …

Oh No, I’m Getting Money; Now What Do I Do?

HNW Elder Law, Special Needs Trusts for Minor Children and Adults

I get quite a few calls from attorneys who have settled cases or obtained judgments in favor of their clients to compensate them for pain and suffering resulting from slip and falls, car accidents, medical malpractice etc. The amount recovered might be small, say $10,000.00. In other cases, it can be substantial, say $1,000,000.00 or more. In each case the attorneys have brought the matter to a successful conclusion, no doubt getting the very best result they can for their client. So, why are they reaching out to me? The reason is that in many cases their clients are receiving “needs based” government benefits; an example, Medicaid.  Receipt of settlement money will in each case cause their client to lose …

“A Standup Guy”

HNW Testimonials

I had a conference call with Mr. Niemann about my son’s existing special needs trust.  Speaking with him relieved the pressure I felt under to get through this without upsetting my sons’ present benefits.  He’s a plain speaking attorney and I felt comfortable during the entire conversation.  His knowledge in this area of law is excellent.   I’ve never seen an attorney put this much information on a web site for your edification.  That spoke volumes to me of his confidence, knowledge and integrity.  Where I come from we call someone like him “A Standup Guy”. Testimonial by Edward Meschi, Monroeville, NJ

Funding a Special Needs Trust in New Jersey

HNW Elder Law, Special Needs Trusts for Minor Children and Adults

By Fredrick P. Niemann, Esq. a New Jersey Special Needs Trust Attorney If you are contemplating the creation of a Special Needs Trust, it is likely that a number of issues will arise with respect to how much money to fund the trust. First, how much money will your child with special needs require over his or her life? Second, should you leave the same portion of your estate to all of your children, no matter what their need(s)? The first question is a difficult one.  It depends on the assumptions you make about your child’s needs and the availability of other resources to fulfill those needs. A financial planner or life care planner with experience in this area can …

Advising Trustees of Special Needs Trusts (SNT) on What They Can and Cannot Spend Trust Funds For

HNW Elder Law, Special Needs Trusts for Minor Children and Adults

By Fredrick P. Niemann, Esq. of Hanlon Niemann & Wright, a Freehold, NJ Special Needs Trust Attorney Special Needs Trusts for disabled and handicapped persons are often created with funds received from legal settlements or inheritances. These Trusts are important legal documents when established for people who are receiving government benefits because they protect these benefits from mandatory spending. However, a trustee must also make distributions in accordance with the guidelines of the trust so as not to risk loss of Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Medicaid benefits for the beneficiary. Special Needs Trust payments are designed to “supplement payment of expenses” or luxury needs not provided by government benefits. SNT funds are not intended to be used for basic …

SSA Clarifies Its Position on Court Established (d)(4)(A) Trusts

HNW Elder Law, Special Needs Trusts for Minor Children and Adults

By Fredrick P. Niemann, A New Jersey Special Needs Trust Attorney After much criticism, the SSA has issued an Administrative Message clarifying its policy regarding (d)(4)(A) Special Needs Trusts created by court order. Recently, some SSA offices have been refusing to approve court-established (d)(4)(A) trusts because they were not created by a court “order.” The SSA has now issued an Administrative Message. The message states that “[i] in the case of a special needs trust established through the actions of the court, the creation of the trust must be required by a court order. The special needs trust exception can be met when courts approve petitions and establish trusts by court order. When the court issues an order approving the …


HNW Elder Law, Special Needs Trusts for Minor Children and Adults

By Fredrick P. Niemann, Esq. a New Jersey Special Needs Trust Attorney Check the distribution standard in the trust If the beneficiary of your special needs trust is on SSI and/or Medicaid, does the distribution standard written in the trust allow the trustee to make distributions which will cause a reduction in government benefits?  If the trust distribution standard does not allow the trustee to make distributions which will reduce SSI benefits, then as the trustee you cannot make any distributions for in-kind support and maintenance, which includes food, rent, room, mortgage, property taxes, insurance, electricity, heating fuel, gas, water, garbage collection, and sewer charges.  Having the ability to pay some of these expenses as in-kind support and maintenance can …


HNW Elder Law, Special Needs Trusts for Minor Children and Adults, Will Contest and Probate Litigation

By Fredrick P. Niemann, Esq. a Special Needs Trust Attorney Recently, a United States Court of Appeals decided a case involving a “special needs trusts.”  A special needs trust is one of two trusts that the federal Medicaid Act created.  A special needs trust or “SNT” is a trust that permits a disabled person to continue to receive Medicaid benefits and have money in the SNT for his benefit. A disabled person might want to create a special needs trust after he receives an award in a lawsuit.  For instance, a person might be disabled because he was in a car accident.  After the accident, he may sue the person who caused the accident and receive money as a result …