here is an automobile accident every 10 seconds of every day in America, over 6 million every year. Every 13 minutes there is a death caused by a motor vehicle accident. These car accidents cause over 40,000 deaths and 3 million injuries each year. Because New Jersey’s highways are so heavily traveled, a disproportionate number of these accidents occur in our state. Medical bills, lost wages, physical incapacity, rehabilitation and future healthcare may seem insurmountable obstacles, especially when confronted with dealing with the other driver’s insurance company.
In New Jersey, when a loved one dies because of the carelessness of another, the survivors may be entitled to damages.
In New Jersey, the verdict or judgment of the court trying the case includes, but may not be limited to, damages for the following:
1. Sorrow, mental anguish, pain and suffering which may include society, companionship, comfort, guidance, and advice of the decedent;
2. Compensation for reasonably expected loss of (i) income of the decedent and (ii) services, protection, care and assistance provided by the decedent;
3. Expenses for the care, treatment and hospitalization of the decedent incident to the injury resulting in death;
4. Reasonable funeral expenses; and
5. Punitive damages may be recovered in New Jersey for willful or wanton conduct, or such recklessness that demonstrates a conscious disregard for the safety of others.
You can send a confidential message to Christopher J. Hanlon right now or call at 732-863-9900 Ext. 108, about a wrongful death claim or lawsuit because of a death related accident.